Autor Tema: August in the Water (Sogo Ishii, 1995)  (Leído 1084 veces)

Desconectado aguijon

• Hanshi
  • Hachidan
  • Ryos: 45
August in the Water (Sogo Ishii, 1995)
« en: 25 Febrero, 2010, 23:17:05 »
Título:August in the Water
Título V.O:Mizu no naka no hachigatsu
Director:Sogo Ishii
Año/País:1995 / Japón
Duración:117 minutos
Género:Fantasía
Reparto:Shinsuke Aoki, Rena Komine, Kou Machida, Reiko Matsuo
Enlaces:SubsRetro
Ficha de:aguijon

Desconectado aguijon

• Hanshi
  • Hachidan
  • Ryos: 45
Re: August in the Water (Sogo Ishii, 1995) [Distribución]
« Respuesta #1 en: 25 Febrero, 2010, 23:17:11 »
Cita de: Glaeken
Plot:
It's Summer term in a heatwave-smitten Kyushu and high school student Ukiya (Masaki Takarai) falls for newly arrived high school high-diving champ Izumi (Rena Komine). Strangely, Izumi's arrival also heralds a bout of supernovas appearing and a strange double meteorite strike near Kyushu.  

Intrigued, Ukiya investigates and discovers a dangerous date on her horoscope coincides with a big diving contest. Plunging towards the pool from the top board, time freezes for Izumi as the water turns momentarily into rock inscribed with mystic symbols: seconds later, she crashes clumsily into the water. When the hospitalised girl recovers, her personality has changed. Now she goes for walks in the hillside forest where a UFO is rumored to have been sighted.

Then, at full moon, she disappears and a meteorite is stolen from a research lab. Meanwhile, all over the city, an unexplained epidemic named Stone Disease - in which people collapse as their internal organs petrify - claims more and more victims.

Personal Description:
This is a very mysterious, Lovecraftian, detached, and yet beautifully shot psychedelic film about a staggering drought, a strange illness, two ancient meteorites, an unseen alien force, and a girl's psychic link to all of it.

Ishii accomplishes some great cinematography of clouds and water, using the element very effectively. The story is interesting, reminding me a bit of a more laid-back but somewhat as disturbing Uzumaki. The ending is amazing, and I would recommend the film on it alone.

Being an Ishii film, the soundtrack is of course perfectly fitting and amazing. It really is an interesting combination of sounds inducing both mystery and water.

Watching this movie reminds me a lot of my youth around water. I don't what it is, but this just seems like a great film to watch during the Summer.

Highly recommended for fans of sci-fi, Sogo Ishii, and Japanese new age weirdness.

Subtitles:
English (Credit to lordretsudo for the subs AND for requisitioning a copy of this, it's extremely expensive in Japan.)

Clip:

Desconectado hokusai_spain

• Wakashu
  • Nikyu
  • Ryos: 10
Re: August in the Water (Sogo Ishii, 1995) [Distribución]
« Respuesta #2 en: 26 Febrero, 2010, 18:11:35 »
Tiene pinta de ser una cosa bastante rara y quizá ¿sorprendente?, habrá que bajarla para verla.

Gracias por la ficha Aguijon.

Desconectado nicolasss

• Nikyu
  • Ryos: 0
August in the Water (Sogo Ishii, 1995)
« Respuesta #3 en: 12 Diciembre, 2020, 22:58:03 »
Maravillosa, es extraño cómo una película puede sentirse tan masiva, tan astronómicamente densa, pero tan elusiva y nebulosa, completamente inmersiva hasta el punto en que se siente como si estuvieras flotando en en las imágenes